Thursday, April 28, 2005

Prize for best performance by tax authorities (II)

This month prize for best performance by tax authorities goes to Sierra Leone rampaging newspaper advertisement, which goes like this "all Christians should follow the teachings and example of Jesus Christ. This week: Pay your taxes!"

Interesting way to convince taxpayers to pay tax, I would say! Specially if we take into account that Christians only make up 30 per cent of the population of Sierra Leone. Are the tax authorities preparing tailored made advertising for other religions? I can imagine they are still thinking of how to address for example agnostics? I can help! I propose the following line “You agnostic, I know you are not a believer! At least believe in the State, pay your taxes and we will give a tax refund!”

It is better to stop here, because mixing tax with religion is not an easy subject. Furthermore, when tracing the line between temporal powers and religious authority, I always remember the ancient Roman expression “Give to Cesar what belongs Cesar and to God what belongs to God “.

If you think I make up this stories click here.

For last moth’s prize for best performance by tax authorities click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home